Sunday, October 30, 2005

ON BEING CONNECTED

I WAS OFFLINE yesterday due to my - I should say Qwests's - more or less annual shorted telephone line. In the fall before the water table absorbtion rates fully recover but after the rains start enough backup causes shorting in that decrepit old buried wire. .85 inches of overnight rain measured by my own station was enough this time.

I'm too far out for "real" internet, and promises that it is just over the horizon keep me from going wireless. And besides, this equipment was upper tier just a couple of years ago. Honestly, I'm out of my depth on this, as I am in using web services for such things as this blog.

So any advice will be appreciated, especially on the topics of equipment or web publishing.

One thing I would really like advice on is a good beginner's book for HTML.

I'd also like to take a minute to thank those of you who have read my page and doubly so to those who contributed, especially contributors who point out errors or alternatives. This isn't intended to be a page of facts. These are positions, and no position is ever 100% right.

That's just nature.

Comments:
If you have a good view of the Southern sky (same as you would need for DISH or DIRECTV) I recommend DirecWay Satellite broadband. Runs about 600K average, I am told by folks that have it. Pretty solid connect, except in massively heavy weather.

There is also IDSL available from Qwest or Covad that might help. It is only 144K, but it is much better than dialup.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?